By Karina Alexander
The weather is getting colder and the beverages are getting warmer. Days are getting shorter and coats and jackets are getting longer. Fall is officially here and on some nights there is nothing better than a hearty bowl of soup to warm you to the core.
A house favorite is black bean and coconut soup with plenty of warming spices like turmeric, ginger and cardamom.
Besides being full of vegan protein and iron, the spices help support your immune system during the colder months.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger, cumin, cinnamon, chili powder, and cardamom
- 12 oz TumericALIVE Coconut Nectar Elixir
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lime to taste
1. In a medium pot over medium-high heat cook olive oil and chopped onions until slightly soft
2. Add spices and cook until they become more golden and fragrant
4. Bring to a boil then reduce to a covered simmer for 15-20 minutes until the beans are very soft
6. Blend half of the mixture until smooth then add back to the pot with remaining mixture
9. Serve with a squeeze of lime and enjoy!