Turmeric is trending to say the least. No longer is this spice only associated with Curry and savory Indian dishes but its been making its way to face mask and dessert. Now you can have your cake and eat it too with all the benefits this spice packs into its brightly colored self. PLUS, its gluten-free.
Enjoy! Recipe from Strayed from The Table by Lizzie Moult,
- 250gm butter
- 250gm sugar
- 4 eggs
- 150gm Greek yogurt
- 20gm turmeric, finely grated
- 200gm almond meal
- 150gm polenta
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 2 oranges – zested and juiced
- ½ cup of thick Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup icing sugar
- Orange zest to garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 180’c. Line a 20cm round baking tin with baking paper and grease with butter and coat with polenta. In a mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar till pale. Add one egg at a time mixing until combined. Add the yogurt and turmeric stir to combine.
- Add the almond meal, polenta and bicarb soda, folding until almost combined. Then add the juice and zest from the oranges, stir to combine.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour. Turn out the cake after five minutes of cooling. Allow the cake to completely cool about an hour before icing the cake.
- To make the icing combine the yoghurt and icing sugar and spread over the top of the cake. Using an additional oranges zest to garnish the top of the cake.L
Let us know what other interesting ways you use turmeric, we would love to see!