Spiced Black Bean Soup
November 6, 2014
The weather is getting colder and the beverages are getting warmer. Days are getting shorter and coats and jackets are getting longer. Fall is officially here and on some nights there is nothing better than a hearty bowl of soup to warm you to the core.A house favorite is black bean and coconut soup with plenty of warming spices like turmeric, ginger and cardamom.
1. In a medium pot over medium-high heat cook olive oil and chopped onions until slightly soft
2. Add spices and cook until they become more golden and fragrant
3. Stir in the beans, coconut milk and TumericAlive Coconut Elixir
4. Bring to a boil then reduce to a covered simmer for 15-20 minutes until the beans are very soft
5. Remove from the heat
6. Blend half of the mixture until smooth then add back to the pot with remaining mixture
7. Add rice then cook over low heat about 5 minutes until rice absorbs some of the liquid
8. Season to taste with salt and pepper
9. Serve with a squeeze of lime and enjoy!